on a wet and cold Autumn day.
1) Total number of books owned:
Too many to count, but they do fill five bookcases.
2) The last book I bought:
What Would Buffy Do? The Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide by Jana Reiss, which according to the back cover "explores the fascinating spiritual, religious, and mythological ideas of Buffy the Vampire Slayer".
3) The last book I read:
My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin - for uni.
4) Five books that mean a lot to me:
- Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson.
- Kiss of the Fur Queen by
Tomson Highway– a beautifully sad Canadian novel about abuse of First Nation children in church schools, and the repercussions of ‘assimiliation’ policies.
- I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb – it may have been an Oprah Book Club choice, but it deals with schizophrenia so truthfully – and is especially poignant to someone who has experienced schizophrenia or knows someone who is schizophrenic (like my mother).
- Lord of the Rings – I’m a fantasy geek, what can I say.
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – another heartachingly beautiful book that looks at the montrosity of humans, and the humanity of monsters.