Saturday was one of those days where everything was on a tight time schedule, and then through a series of unfortunate events, turned into a train wreck. From the emergence of SurlyBoy (™ pending) in the morning, to the shopping trip from hell, and then the oven burning incident in the late afternoon, nothing went according to plan, and of course caraway_ </span>and her family were due to arrive for an evening meal with us, so of course it was a disastrous day! Highlights of the day:
- Even though SurlyBoy had been informed that we were expecting guests that day on a number of occasions, he decided on Friday that he absolutely, positively, had to go to a party on Saturday, and of course would need a lift there as he was going to drink, and therefore couldn’t drive himself (so BM had to leave during the evening to run him there, sorry guests). To exacerbate our Grr Argh feelings towards him, he woke up grumpy and stayed that way all Saturday, being as absolutely difficult as he possibly could, without being turfed out of home.
- Something had been spilled in the bottom of the oven, so when I started to cook my baked cheesecake, the oven started to burn - the smoke affected the cheesecake - it had to be tossed out. No time to spare to doing anything else. No dessert.
- Wasn’t able to make pasta salad as planned because BM had to clean oven after fire. No pasta salad.
- Quickly running out of time, didn’t get a chance to peel potatoes wedges to cook on barbie. No potato wedges.
- Oven being cleaned - can’t make the bruschetta. No bruschetta.
- Went to have a quick shower to freshen up - of course our guests arrived then!!
- We planned a barbeque for tea - it rained. We had to set up a tarpaulin so that BM and the barbie could stay out of the rain while the meat cooked - so much for sitting in the backyard and enjoying a few ales.
- Anya (our kelpie pup) went berko, she loves people but she gets so over-excited - we had to lock her outside (in the rain), she wasn’t a happy camper.
- My well planned meal went out the window, along with my sanity, but regardless of all that, it was wonderful to see caraway_, PG, BiB and SG again, and to meet caraway_'s mum, who was visiting from Canada - it really is amazing to meet LJ friends in real life. I hope they enjoyed the chaotic evening, and I apologise profusely to them for any hospitality gaffs that may have occurred. As so often happens in my life, shit happens, and there is very little I can do to prevent it, although sometimes I can at least control the depth of the shit I find myself in …
Of course yesterday and today SurlyBoy has been replaced by PodBoy (he’s the nice, polite one) and has spent the two days finally watching the last 6 episodes of S5 Angel, and all of Firefly - it’s sort of nice to share the love of the Jossverse with him - doesn’t mean that I’ve stopped the countdown till school resumes though. Really looking forward to a couple of blissful weeks of solitude (at least from till Mon-Thur) before uni starts back (EEK!!).
ETA: SurlyBoy has redeemed himself - tonight I was asking him about Firefly, and he commented that he had never noticed it in Buffy or Angel, but in Firefly he could see (‘read’) how well Joss created characters, and how interesting he made them. River is his favourite character, but he also likes Mal. He said that when he becomes a multi-billionaire(?!!) he will fund Joss so we can continue to see his wonderful stories and characters on TV (my boy can be such a pain, but I do love him so … how can you not love a 17 year old who appreciates the creativity of Joss Whedon). I am so glad that J is taught to ‘read’ a TV show just the same as a classic novel - this is the single most important thing I have gained from my uni studies - the appreciation of pop culture, it truly was a revelation to me the day I watched a Simpsons episode in class.