RealVampiresDon'tSparkle by me

(no subject)

Had the first meeting yesterday for my uni subject - the lecturer from the States was there as well, outlining the US side of our interaction and giving us a potted history of the University of North Carolina (UNC) and the public university system in the States.  At last I think I understand the US college system, one of the basic differences being their undergraduate degrees take 4 years, ours only 3, and that because the public universities are state funded (compared to being under the Federal govt. auspices here) there is a requirement that a large percentage of students come from that state  - UNC has an 83% quota of students from North Carolina, the other 17% is fought out between out of state and international students - really different to the experience here.   Also UNC doesn't have mature aged students, so we will be dealing with 19 - 20 year olds - and our group has a lot of mature aged students, so discussing our movie experiences will be very different (subject looks at Australian and US film industry, differences, concerns, experiences, the relationship between 'local' and 'global').  However the US class doesn't start their semester until Aug 25, so our interaction will be limited to 7 or 8 weeks out of the normal 13 weeks of semester here.  In the meantime the Aussie side of the class has to start to prepare an autographical piece titled "What the USA means to me" - oohh Lordy, not sure where to go with that one.

  • Current Mood: working working